Search This Blog Below

Today Motorcycle
Motorcycle

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Signs get mixed reviews.... CA

OFF THE WIRE
Reply

Gypsypashn@aol.com to me

show details 3:13 AM (15 hours ago)









http://www.mercurynews.com/mr-roadshow/ci_17983455?nclick_check=1

Roadshow: Motorcycle messages along freeways draw mixed response



By Gary Richards

grichards@mercurynews.com

Q I have a grin on my face seeing the "Share the Road: Look Twice for Motorcyclists" messages on the computerized billboards on Highway 101. I'm an avid motorcyclist and with spring in full swing, I appreciate the reminder to motorists to look out for those of us on two wheels. Kudos to whoever chose to put that message up!

Carolyn Bierman

San Carlos

A May is Motorcycle Safety Awareness Month, an annual campaign funded through grants from the California Office of Traffic Safety and the Highway Patrol. Motorcycle fatalities decreased 29.6 percent, from 560 in 2008 to 394 in 2009 (data on 2010 will be released later). The 2009 decline was the first since 1998, marking the end of an 11-year, 175 percent increase.

Q I call on you to work your Roadshow magic. The electronic freeway signs have been used for common-sense reminders for some time, such as "Spare the Air," "Click It or Ticket." But recently the frequency has really increased. Two weeks ago, the sign on Highway 85 near Winchester Boulevard was on three days in a row -- two days reminding you not to talk on your cellphone and the third day reminding us not to text and drive. Now this week, a reminder to share the road with motorcycles. Every time these signs are on, they add at least 10 minutes to my commute -- 10 dangerous minutes of stop-and-go. The backup is all the way to Interstate 280. As soon as we get to the

sign, presto, back to 65 mph. Would it be possible to only have these common-sense reminders on during noncommute hours? They would still get their message out to many people.

Chris Heck

San Jose

A No, and one reason is that motorcyclists often split lanes -- which is legal at low speeds but can be dangerous -- during commute times. Other messages often remain on during the commute because that is when the most drivers are on the road and the audience is larger.

Q Why do people always complain that the freeway signs cause traffic to bog down because drivers slow to read the messages? The type is so large that I have no problem reading them without having to slow. I don't think I am that exceptional of a driver and if I can deal with these messages, like the ones about motorcyclists this week, others should be able to do the same.

Marcus Phillips

San Mateo

A You would think so, but I've received multiple complaints that the signs really do slow traffic down.

Q Do you know of any motorcycle safety events in the South Bay? I've been riding for 30 years, but a brush-up would be nice.

Craig Morgan

A The San Jose CHP will hold one on June 14 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at its office on Junction Avenue. The CHP urges all riders to sign up for the California Motorcyclist Safety Program before beginning to ride. This is a basic course for beginning motorcyclists as well as more experienced riders interested in improving their skills. Go to www.ca-msp.org to find the location nearest you.

A couple of other good sites to check are www.bayarearidersforum.com and www.southbayriders.com.

Q I am a large female, and am embarrassed to admit that after eating a large meal, I become too fat for the seat belt in my family's Nissan Altima to buckle. I have tried and tried, and it just won't reach, being short about an inch. I have looked into seat belt extenders and, apparently, these are available only for the front seats of this make and model, not the rear. The problem is I am too big and tall to fit in the front seats, even without a seat belt, so I have to sit in the back. Is it legal for me not to wear a seat belt in this situation? It's not like I really have a choice, as I couldn't put it on even if I wanted to.

Stephanie W.

Pleasant Hill

A No, it's not legal. But if you were stopped by police, you would want to show the officer that the seat belt doesn't fit, and perhaps you wouldn't be cited. Here are some websites that deal with seat belt extenders and may be of help: www.jcwhitney.com/seat-belt-extenders/p2017821.jcwx, www.gtseatbeltextender.com/cart/ or http://wescoperformance.stores.yahoo.net/seat-belt-extender.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment